Berkshire Community Foundation (BCF) is participating in The Big Give Christmas Challenge 2018.
For one week, from midday on 27th November 2018, donations to Surviving Winter made through The Big Give website will be doubled.
Surviving winter is our campaign which helps older and vulnerable people stay warm and well over the coldest months.
Every penny raised helps the most vulnerable in our communities.
Berkshire needs YOUR help to stay warm this winter…
Did you know:
- The temperature in Berkshire dropped to -3 last Thursday
- Homelessness is on the rise
- Fuel poverty affects over 4.5 million UK households
- 17% of families and 23% of single parents are in fuel poverty
- £20 buys a sleeping bag
- £40 funds a session to support a low income family living in fuel poverty
Double your donation today: For ONE week The Big Give Christmas Challenge will double your donation thanks to match funding from our amazing supporters.
Community Council for Berkshire (CCB) Family Home Energy Education and Advice Project
BCF provided a grant to CCB to help families living in fuel poverty in Berkshire. The project started in September, and already they have:
- Held 9 drop-in advice sessions in Slough and Wokingham, helping 79 families.
- Delivered one training session to 10 members of the Wokingham Community Engagement Team. It is believed that this knowledge will be cascaded to 500 families over the next 6 months.
These sessions have uncovered that:
- 74% of the families who attended the drop-in sessions struggled to pay their heating bill.
- 25 families were advised to apply for the Warm Home Discount, which leverages £3,500 to low income families.
- The Community Engagement officers estimates that over 60% of the families they work with are in fuel poverty.
“It was really useful information. Definitely will make sure I am getting a good deal, and implementing all the tips on energy saving at home.”
Drop-in session attendee
How can you help?
All donations made, through the Big Give website, during the Christmas Challenge week will be doubled. This is a fantastic way to make your donation go further.
If you are in receipt of the Winter Fuel Payment, but are not reliant on it, we’d love you to consider donating it to the Surviving Winter campaign. Imagine how much we can do with it doubled!